EAST TROY, Wis. (January 23, 2006) - Erik Buell and company come full circle with the introduction of the 2007 Buell XBRR, a limited-edition production racing motorcycle designed exclusively for closed course competition. A spiritual successor to Buell's first motorcycle, the 1983 RW750, the XBRR is poised to change the face of privateer racing with a professional-level, race-ready, production-based platform featuring top-shelf racing technology and typical Buell innovation.
"The XBRR combines the current culmination of Buell's leading edge chassis technology and Harley-Davidson's air-cooled V-Twin powertrain development in a platform designed by and developed for dedicated racers," said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer, Buell Motorcycle Company.
For Erik Buell, the XBRR marks a return to his racing roots. As a successful privateer road racer early in his career, Buell eventually built his own race bikes for the AMA's then-premier Formula 1 class. The RW750 was a hand-built race bike, and it became the first official Buell motorcycle. Two were produced before the AMA discontinued the class after 1985. Buell then translated his race-bred design principles into a line of successful street bikes leading up to the current XB platform.
The Buell XBRR features a modified XB Thunderstorm 1339cc (103.6mm bore x 79.4mm stroke) air/oil-cooled V-Twin motor rated at 150-hp (measured at the crankshaft). The engine is fed by a dual-downdraft 62mm throttle-body electronic fuel injection system and a ram-air intake system integrated with a new wind-tunnel developed carbon fiber fairing.
The XBRR is the first production Buell since the 1988-89 RR1200 to feature a full fairing. Its lightweight carbon design integrates ducts for cooling of the engine and oil cooler. The fairing was extensively wind tunnel tested to improve aerodynamics and reduce drag.
The XBRR chassis is the revolutionary XB design with fuel-in-the-frame and oil-in-the-swingarm, modified with a billet axle adjustment system and chain-drive to allow gearing changes for different race tracks. Suspension travel is managed by fully adjustable Öhlins units, with 43mm front forks and a remote-reservoir rear shock.
A new ZTL2 (Zero Torsional Load) eight-piston front caliper grabs a standard XB front rotor providing outstanding braking performance, but with less weight than conventional designs. New XBRR six-spoke magnesium wheels weigh 33 percent less than standard XB wheels.
Instruments include tachometer, indicator lamps for shift, power on and low oil pressure. The XBRR features a unique Buell Racing paint scheme.
Buell XBRR features:
• 1339cc (81.7 cid) Thunderstorm Powertrain:
• 4.080 inch (103.6 mm) bore and 3.125 inch (79.4mm) stroke
• 12.5:1 compression ratio
• Dual 62 mm down-draft fuel-injection throttle bodies
• WAVE-analyzed header and mass-centralized muffler
• 150+ peak engine horsepower at 8000 rpm (per SAE J607)
• 100 ft. lbs. peak engine torque at 6500 rpm (per SAE J607)
Black 6-Spoke Cast Magnesium Racing wheels:
• Front: 3.5 inch (88.9mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm) wheel with 120/70R-17 tire
• Rear: 5.5 inch (139.7mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm) wheel with 190/55R-17 tire
• Buell ZTL2 reversed rotor front brake with eight-piston Nissin caliper
• Ram Air system integrated with full racing fairing
• Carbon fiber bodywork
• 43mm Öhlins adjustable front suspension with inverted forks
• Öhlins fully-adjustable rear suspension with coil-over monoshock with remote reservoir
• 55-degree lean angle (hard contact)
• 30.5-inch (775 mm) seat height
• 21-degree rake and 3.4-inch (86 mm) trail
• Cast-aluminum swingarm with billet axle adjustment system
• Center position wheelbase 52.8 inches (1341 mm)
• Range wheelbase 51.8 - 53.8 inches (1315 mm - 1367 mm)
• Buell Racing paint scheme
To accommodate eligibility in a wide variety of racing classes, an engine modification kit will be available to help conform the XBRR to a wide range of class regulations.
Buell will produce 50 XBRR motorcycles with a short initial run in late February and the balance made in April. U.S. MSRP is $30,995.